Wednesday, August 22, 2012

LaNea's first plane ride and Alabama

I just returned from visiting my little sister in the state of Alabama. She lives with her husband and 18 month old son in Huntsville, Alabama. A place that is packed with history. Athens a town near Huntvilles was pretty much detroyed by the union army during the Civil War, ironically Athens and other towns around were anti-sucession towns. The main reason for the destruction  being the railroad that went through these towns. We spent alot of time in Athens , they  have a very cute town square. Their   railway station is one of the few buildings that stood though the war . We visted a few Battle sites here. One of the sites is in the , middle of  an intersection now. Stopped at the red light we joked that when the soilders became hungry they could walk over to Burger King , or KFC and get a bit to eat. Other  sites were still very much left untouched. We spent an afternoon in the town of Elk-somthing I can't remember the excact name . We walked on their rails to trails trail, we were hoping to find the site of the bloodiest single day battle fought in Alabama. The trail was beautiful it was one of those where when you walked on it it immedailty became darker because the thich growth of tree's govering the trail .We walked slowly ,we had an 18 month and 5 year old with us. We anticipated some sort of plaque letting us know where the battle was fought but we never did find one. We found the site were we assumed the battle had been fought , a beautiful peaceful spot . It was hard to imagine that once , blood and terror invaded that tranquile setting.  Once again the absolute tradedy if the Civil War and the losses suffered by both sides sunk in. In one of teh pamplets it talked about all the soilders coming home from war to the Tennesse Vally and finding nothing but devestaion and starving families. We also visted a cementary in Athens that had the graves of some conferderate soilders.  I think that afternoon was  one of my most favorite parts of the my time in Alabama

I also enjoyed the Huntsville Botantical Gardens. They were beautful I love flowers and especailly their scents . I wish I had more time to walk through. They had a really fun childrens garden with water toys that LaNea and my nephew enjoyed. Also a big butterfly house which was so fun. I had never been inside a butterfly house before ( last time I was the hogle zoo it was closed) so that was quite a treat for me.

I could not believe how green in was there. I wondered if people who live in that part of the country ever get tired of seeing nothing but green. I did notice that there weren't many homes that were painted green I don't know if there is a correlation or not. I was a little envious of the lush greenery that the people there enjoy.


LaNea right  before "blast off" this is the only picture I could take before my battery died
 
 


LaNea absoulty loved flying, at least the take off part. On our  flight out of Casper she was the only kid on the flight, and she giggled like only LaNea can giggle during "blast off"  I heard many people comment laugh and comment on out cute she was. She thought it was so fun that there were trays attached to the seats infront , and she loved pulling it down so she could color, eat snacks and drink her complimentary drinks . On one flight we sat next to a 10 year old kid who was flying on his own. Immediatly I felt a maternal instict to mother him and make sure he was comfortable and had enough snacks. He was the sweetest kid. He offered LaNea some of his cookies which she loved. He on his way to Mexico to live with his sister and spent a semester going to school.

LaNea also loved her little  ,and he loved her as well. Of course there were times when she would get irritated with his lack of understanding how to play with toys. But for the most part they got along really well. She liked sitting next to him in the car and keeping him entertained on our car rides.  I enjoyed staying at my sisters home , her and her husband were wonderful hosts and I felt almost homesick leaving.

There is so much I could write about my trip, but I think the reader would get bored hearing everything about it. So if you want to hear more call me. I don't have pictures right now since I had forgotten to pack my battery charger for my camera and the batttery died pretty quickly . My sister took a bunch and I am very excited to see the,

2 comments:

Balancing the Table said...

I'll post the pictures on facebook soon. We miss having you here.

Joy said...

It sounded so nice.