Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas tree oh Christmas Tree

When I woke up this morning I planned on going to Walmart ( because I live in Riverton Wyoming) and buying a Christmas Tree. I planned it to be a very simple task. I was going to to buy a fake tree because we seem to move around alot and every time we move look at that christmas tree sitting in storage and I think to myself " do I really want to bother trying to load you in the truck, then finding a spot for you in our new place" the answer to that question is always no , so without thinking about to complete and utter waste I take the tree to the dumpster and dump it. So once again this year I had to buy a tree. Ever since we helped my Mom decorate her tree LaNea has been bugging me non stop about decorating our tree. So I thought I would surprise her by buying her one today and getting it set up with the lights on before she got home from school. As I said before it seemed like a simple enough endeavor. I loaded up Hannah into the car and off we went to Wally World to find our Christmas Tree.

I was very discouraged and saddened to see that all the decent trees at the Walmart were around $100 . Most of them were prelit which I do not like. I did find a short , skinny tree for $20 , but my sister who had happened to call right when I was walking into the store, convinced me that I really did not want a dingy $20 Christmas Tree. I figured she was right so Hannah and I continued our search. Of course Hannah really wanted a pink tree and the pricey snow covered one; but in the end I think she would have been happy with the $20 tree after all she is only 3. Anyway I wondered over to the   outdoor section to to my delight they were selling "freshly" cut tree's for only $34. I had not considered getting a live tree, they are nice but messy , and you have to water them. But then I looked again at all my other options and figured a live tree would be better then a dingy $20 one that would probably get thrown away at the next move anyway. So I took the plunge , I committed to buying a real tree.

When I went to pay for the tree in the outdoor section , the debit card machine didn't work. So I had to wait and wait while holding a 30 pound 3 year old. Finally someone came to fix the problem. He could not fix the problem. So I had to walk pushing a shopping cart while trying to carry Hannah who refused to walk. I am sure all mothers no the joy of trying to push a cart with one hand while holding a child with your other. Anyway I had to walk all the way to the automotive section to pay for my tree.

Well after that and then trying to figure out where to park  so I could pick up my tree, Hannah and I were headed home with our tree. Hannah was very happy about the real tree. I was still a little apprehensive. One of the problems I had  had a strong walmart employee load the tree into the back of my SUV for me ,but when I got home he was not there to help me carry it into the house. So after a struggle I finally got the tree into the house. I got it in there only to realize the it was too tall for out vaulted ceiling. No matter I had to cut a little bit off the bottom anyway I will just cut off extra .(Side note my husband is out of town until Wednesday). I went down to the basement to find a hand saw I was sure my husband had one laying around. He didn't but he had a big scary electric saw , that I was not willing to use( yes I am a wimp). But not one to give up easily I found a old rusted  hand ax. I felt it it seemed sharp enough. Imagines of the old movies where loggers cut down  trees using nothing but an ax flashed through my head. Excited that I was going to make this work. I dashed back into the house ax in hand. I started hacking at that thing. At first it seemed to me that I was making good progress, but after awhile I realized that I was only half way through and my arm was aching and my hand felt like it would never unclench again. Feeling discouraged visions of that dingy Christmas tree danced in my head. I wondered if Walmart would take my partially hacked Christmas Tree back. After stopping to make lunch for Hannah and I , I went back to my task. Determined to get the bottom of that tree chopped off I put all my energy into it, hacking away. Encouraged by my progress I began to sing. Finally , finally , it came off. I held that piece in my hand and about cried. I had done it.

I thought the hard part was over. I was wrong. I still had pine needles all over my living room floor, and I had to get the tree into the stand. I knew Hannah was not going to be much help but determined I started the task. I don't know if anyone else has attempted  to hold up a huge tree with one hand while trying to screw it in with another, it is not an easy thing to do. It kept falling over and the screws were just not screwing in, plus I had my 3 year old trying to be helpful. Finally discouraged I stood up gave the tree a couple shakes in frustration and low and behold it held. My shakes of frustration must have moved it around enough that that tree held into the place. Sure it was leaning a little. But it was sturdy I tested it. That tree was not going to budge. Finally I had done it. Now I just have to clean up those pine needles.

                                       The piece of the trunk I had hacked off with the old ax
                                            The tree lit and ready for the girls to decorate.

3 comments:

A A said...

I found out what I was using to hack the tree was an old butcher knife and not an ax.

Willefam said...

What are you doing carrying a tree??? What an adventure- the things we do for our children (although I admit you beat me because I would have just left WM with no tree!) It looks great!! Way to GO!! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving- and an ax may have not been so hard :) Had to smile when I saw that!

Emily Burt said...

What an ordeal! Crazy stuff we women do! Made me laugh that you throw your tree's away. I do that with stuff when we move too and Chris gets so mad!